How to change Magento 2 backend url
In this tutorial we will show you how to change the Magento 2 backend url. The Magento 2 admin url should not be admin or backend or any other easy path which could be easy identified by attacker. The backend url can contain alphanumeric values, the underscore character _ and the dash character - only. Having a unique admin path increases the security just a little bit. The most secure way for your Magento 2 backend is to restrict the access via IPs or VPN.
If you don't have the possibility to restrict the Magento 2 backend url via IPs or VPN then we recommend to change it on a regulary basis.
Here are the steps to change the Magento 2 admin url:
1) Login into your Magento 2 Server with SSH
2) Navigate to the Magento 2 directory e.g.
3) Use the Magento 2 CLI in order to change the backend url
php bin/magento setup:config:set --backend-frontname='secureAdmin123'
4) To check what your current Magento 2 backend url is, you can run the following command
php bin/magento info:adminuri
5) Another way to change the Magento 2 backend url is to edit the file app/etc/env.php
If you open the file it looks like the following excerpt:
<?php return array ( 'backend' => array ( 'frontName' => 'admin', ),