If you are close to starting your e-commerce business and are researching different software and tools, you have surely heard of Magento.
But before you skip a step and continue to research Magento hosting, make sure you have an idea how to answer the most basic question: What exactly is Magento and which benefits does it bring?
As one of the leading e-commerce platforms implemented by world brands like Coca-Cola or Nike, Magento is a perfect choice for ambitious e-commerce shops.
A reason for this are Magento’s helpful features that are not only suitable for these big companies but for little ones as well.
Therefore, in the following, we like to give you a good overview of the most important basic questions about Magento, including:
Table of Contents
- Magento software for e-commerce: What is it?
- How to host Magento? Which hosting type and managed or unmanaged hosting?
- How to download Magento and how to install it?
- How much does Magento cost?
- Conclusion: Magento is what you want it to be!
Magento software for e-commerce: What is it?
To get a quick overview, here are the most essential facts about Magento:
- Magento is an e-commerce software built on open source technology.
- Magento comes in two versions: Magento Open Source (which is free) or Magento Commerce (which is paid).
- Magento is for companies of all sizes: e-commerce beginners as well as big players.
- Magento is easy to use, user-friendly and versatile.
- Magento is designed for people with no technical or development background.
- Since its release in 2008 Magento continually grows.
- Nowadays, Magento is the most popular e-commerce platform on the market.
- Magento is used by over 250.000 merchants worldwide, including Coca-Cola, Nike, HP, and Canon.
Reasons for its global success are Magento’s helpful and unique features benefiting you when creating a fully customizable and SEO optimized e-commerce business.
For building a high-converting webshop, Magento offers you:
|marketing and promotion||
|customer management & customer support||
Therefore, Magento is not only flexible and extremely scalable but also a mature and robust software with a very large and helpful community.
In short: With Magento for e-commerce, you are wrong.
It covers all needs of owners of little shops with only a few products to global brands with 10,000 or more products and complex custom behavior.
MGT-COMMERCE exactly fits your needs as well as we offer:
- single server plans for small companies
- multi server plans for small and middle-sized companies
- auto scaling plans for the most advanced needs
How to host Magento? Which hosting type and managed or unmanaged hosting?
Before answering the question of how to host Magento, another question has to be answered: What is Magento hosting?
In general, there are four hosting types you can choose from:
- shared hosting
- VPS hosting
- dedicated hosting
- cloud hosting
Each type is bringing advantages and disadvantages especially regarding pricing and the use of resources.
With shared hosting, where many websites use the same pool of server resources, it can happen that one site is slowing down all other sites because it monopolized all resources for itself. On the other hand, it is relatively cheap.
Cloud hosting is clearly more expensive but brings you many cloud benefits as well such as:
- high performance
But even though you might pay a bit more than for shared hosting, cloud hosting is very cost-efficient as you only pay for the resources you really use and therefore don’t waste any money on unused resources.
You also have to choose whether you want managed hosting services or not.
The main benefit of managed Magento hosting is obvious: The hosting provider ensures that your e-commerce shop is available at all times.
Moreover, managed hosting is:
Get in touch with us, and we will find out the perfect solution for your needs.
How to download Magento and how to install it?
You can download Magento in three different ways depending on the kind of user you are and the way you want to install it.
- an easy installation
- an advanced installation
- a developer installation
We will introduce each in the following.
Note that, if you choose a managed hosting plan, your hosting provider will take care of the installation and constant maintenance so that you can fully focus only on your business.
1. Easy Magento installation
The easy installation of Magento is meant for users who have their own server and some technical knowledge.
|This easy installation goes as follows:
For a more detailed description, take a look at the official Magento sites:
- Installation roadmap
- Installation tutorial
- How to install the Magento archive on your server
- How to install the Magento software using the command line
2. Advanced Magento installation
The advanced installation of Magento using Composer is meant for highly technical experienced users who:
- have access to the Magento server
- want full control over all installed components and
- want to have the possibility to repackage Magento Open Source with other components.
For the advanced Magento installation follow these steps:
To see the whole installation process with all single steps, read the official description on how to install Magento using Composer.
3. Developer Magento installation
This kind of installation if meant for contributing developers which have:
- the highest professional technical knowledge
- their own Magento development server
- in-depth understanding of Composer and GitHub
With their work they:
- contribute to the Magento codebase
- file bugs
- customize the Magento software
|Run the developer Magento installation like this:
Additionally, note this useful official overview for contributing developers.
How much does Magento cost?
Last but not least Magento’s pricing.
Magento Open Source is for free. Costs for Magento Commerce, which is designed for large companies, are starting at 20.000€.
Depending on the hosting plan, prices for managed hosting usually vary between 50€ and 500€ monthly.
Cloud hosting is the most attractive option. As you only pay for what you really use, it saves you a lot of money compared to the other hosting types.
Conclusion: Magento is what you want it to be!
Magento is a powerful e-commerce software that brings you many features for marketing, SEO, site management, and more.
Due to its flexibility of usage, it is suitable for all sizes of businesses, not only for big companies but for small and middle-sized e-commerce shops as well.
If you are convinced and want to enjoy the advantages of Magento, considering the hosting type and the level of management you want is the most important part.
Choosing between the four hosting types can be difficult. But a professional hosting provider will guide you through these choices and consult you to find out the best solution for you.
At MGT-COMMERCE you get high performance Magento hosting
which is fully managed on Amazon AWS. Our advanced solutions will not only meet but exceed your expectations. Contact us now and find out more!